Who are we?
38 Degrees is made up of more than 2 million people from all walks of life across the UK. We have different backgrounds and opinions, but we all agree – politics works better when more of us get involved.
38 Degrees helps make that happen, by giving people in every corner of the country the tools to make our voices heard on the issues we care about. Together, we sign online petitions, chip in to fund expert research and talk to our MPs. In the space of a week, millions of members could be campaigning on anything from protecting our NHS and stopping cuts to Universal Credit, to saving local libraries and pushing for laws that welcome more refugees. We run campaigns which help make Britain a better and fairer place to live.
38 Degrees is independent. The 2 million of us who take part vote for all political parties and none, and we’re funded by tens of thousands of small donations from members of the public.
We don’t just seek to change the outside world either; at 38 Degrees, we’re always learning how to be even more mindful of how our country, our priorities and our team is changing, and are as responsive as possible to ensure our culture is as inclusive and considerate as humanly and technologically possible.
The 38 Degrees culture is honest, kind, supportive, courageous, and respectful. We move fast, and frequently change plans to respond to events. We work hard but we also have fun. We’re currently a team of 42 staff based in London, Edinburgh and elsewhere through the UK.
Campaigners at 38 Degrees are responsible for designing and delivering effective campaign tactics that build our people-powered movements and win campaigns. We’re looking for outstanding campaigners with proven abilities to use technology creatively (mass email, CRM tools, digital marketing) and brilliant communications skills (media relations, social content and top-notch copywriting). You’ll work with campaign managers and directors to input into campaign strategy, and you’ll also take on ownership of smaller campaigns.
- Technology: Deliver high-quality digital actions for 38 Degrees members and use your creativity to design inspiring and impactful journeys for 38 Degrees members – from signing a petition through to registering for an offline event.
- Communications: Write emails – quickly and effectively – to send to millions of 38 Degrees members. Publish and edit other online content such as blogs and social media posts.
- Campaign strategy: Work with Campaigns Managers and Directors to help shape campaign strategy. Speak to experts and collaborate with other organisations. Spot and run smaller campaigns.
- Campaign tactics: Organise campaign actions and logistics, from media sell-ins to public meetings.
- Work closely with Campaigns Interns to ensure actions are delivered to high quality, including line management and/or being responsible for output.
Your skills and experience:
- This is a challenging role that requires hard work, flexibility, good judgement, initiative and an ability to deliver results. You will have a deep commitment to our mission of empowering people everywhere to win campaigns on critical issues.
- Your core skills and experience will include:
- A proven ability to get to grips with new technology (like a mass email platform or the Facebook ad platform) quickly and calmly
- Professionalism, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- The ability to write fantastic, clear, persuasive copy quickly
- Commitment to social change and people power
- Fantastic teamwork skills and the ability to work quickly and collaboratively
- The ability to multi-task and thrive in an organisation where our campaign priorities change with the news agenda
- The ability to get to grips with complex logistics and campaign plans
- A creative head for campaign tactics
- The ability to get to grips with a new campaign area without getting lost in detail
- A willingness to take risks, fail and adapt
The job is often driven by a campaign cycle, so there are times that involve long hours and times that don’t. Our culture recognises both the needs of campaigns and the need for rest and for our staff to have a life.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
38 Degrees wants to make democracy work for everyone. That means living up to that mission by having a team that represents our membership and our location, making 38 Degrees a genuinely inclusive space to work. We are currently under-represented by people of colour, trans and non-binary people, older people and Disabled people. We welcome applicants from these groups.
38 Degrees is committed to inclusive working practices, so during the application process we commit to:
- Paying for childcare whilst you’re at 38 Degrees interviews or tasks
- Paying for your travel costs to the office and back – and for overnight accommodation if you’re travelling from a long distance. Right now though, given the restrictions COVID-19 presents, we are expecting all interviews to be held online using zoom.
- Making any reasonable adjustments – for example ensuring we have BSL interpreters organised in advance if you’d like them
- If there anything else you’re concerned about or think we could provide, please let us know.
The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.