Feb 22nd, 2011
We stopped the Nocton mega-dairy!
By Hannah Lownsbrough
We won! Last week the companies behind the mega-dairy in Lincolnshire cancelled their plans. This is great news! Last week we saved our forests, stopped Donald Trump from kicking people out their homes for his luxury golf course and we stopped the mega-dairy!
We need to keep watching – the companies behind the plan may try again. But we should feel proud that together we stopped this US style factory farm from being built.
We didn’t do it alone. Our friends at Compassion in World Farming, Friends of the Earth, World Society for the Protection of Animals, the Campaign to Protect Rural England, Soil Association, Vegetarians International Voice for Animals, and Campaign Against Factory Farming Operations also worked hard to stop these plans. When the Environment Agency weighed in to critisise the plans, it was the final straw-and the businesses pulled out.
We’ll update the blog with more news. But for now here are some highlights of the campaign:
- Over 60,000 of us signed the ‘Stop the Factory Farm’ petition.
- Over 14,000 of us told the local council what we thought
- Thousands of us donated to the campaign
- We bought ads in local newspapers
- Hundreds turned up when we submitted our petition to the local council
Update 1: Here are a few more news reports: