Sep 16th, 2011
August member poll results now in
38 Degrees members work together to decide what we campaign on, and polling enables us to get a clear picture of what the key priorities are. Last month, thousands of us voted on the next set of campaign priorities for 38 Degrees and the results are now in!
Ideas have been suggested on the 38 Degrees Facebook page, Twitter, the blog, on the website and by email. Once a picture started to emerge, a team of volunteers in the office shortlisted the most popular. For more information on how the team sorts this data have a look at this blog.
Thousands of 38 Degrees members voted on the campaigns you thought were most important. Using spreadsheets and other tools the team has listed the results in order of the priority and urgency you felt on these issues.
(Click on the image to enlarge)
The top results are:
- NHS: Continue the NHS campaign to protect our health service from privatisation and competition law
- Planning: Start a campaign against the recent changes to Planning laws
- Tax-dodging: Demand a clamp down on tax dodging
- Banks: Push for taxpayers to get a fairer deal from bailed-out banks
- Energy Bills: Stop energy companies imposing rip-off increases to gas and electricity bills
- Arms Dealing: Stop UK arms companies selling weapons to oppressive governments
- Forests: Keep speaking up for our forests and challenge future attempts to sell them
These results will determine what we focus on in coming months. They give the staff team a clear direction for researching campaign opportunities and developing ideas for action. We won’t be able to do everything immediately. Sometimes we have to wait for the moment when we can effectively create change by moving together.
It’s clear that the NHS remains a big priority, so we’ll carry on working to protect it from privatisation and other threats as the Bill passes to the House of Lords.
On forests, we’re currently meeting with the Government’s Forest Panel in the aftermath of many successful forest get-together events to hand in our petition and demonstrate just how important the protection of our forests are to 38 Degrees members.
Some new campaigns might also emerge based on things that pop up in the outside world. You can still suggest any new campaign ideas through our member’s forum and vote on the issues that are important to you.
What do you think?
What do you think of these results? Are there any other campaigns you think should be on the list?