Jun 21st, 2016
6 things we learned from the Wembley EU debate
By Laura Townshend
Picture the scene: Wembley Stadium. Six top politicians. 48 hours before a once-in-a-lifetime vote. Living rooms around the country heating up with debate. And thousands of 38 Degrees members watching the debate at home and sharing our views together online.
Thousands of us joined in with the 38 Degrees opinion tracker tool – a website that let us share our reactions to the debate as it happened using our computers and mobile phones.Together, we cast over 1.3 million votes. It was a bit like a debate in the pub, but without getting off our sofas.
Here are 6 things we learned from the debate:
- The Leave campaign really wanted us to remember the phrase “take back control”. And here’s what 38 Degrees members made of that:
- 38 Degrees members know their facts. More than 70% of people got this question right:
- Turkey’s road to membership of the EU sparked heated debate. Luckily, 38 Degrees members chipped in to fund expert fact-checkers Full Fact to cut through the spin. Here’s their verdict:
- 38 Degrees members cast their votes an average of 36 times per second during the debate. More than a million votes were cast in total:
- Some of us got a bit fed up of hearing about hearing politicians talk about being mums and dads:
- And most of us were really, really happy to be watching the debate with other 38 Degrees members on our sofas: