Who are we?
38 Degrees is made up of more than 2 million people from all walks of life across the UK. We have different backgrounds and opinions, but we all agree – politics works better when more of us get involved.
38 Degrees helps make that happen, by giving people in every corner of the country the tools to make our voices heard on the issues we care about. Together, we sign online petitions, chip in to fund expert research and talk to our MPs. In the space of a week, millions of members could be campaigning on anything from protecting our NHS and stopping cuts to Universal Credit, to saving local libraries and pushing for laws that welcome more refugees. We run campaigns which help make Britain a better and fairer place to live.
38 Degrees is independent. The 2 million of us who take part vote for all political parties and none, and we’re funded by tens of thousands of small donations from members of the public.
We don’t just seek to change the outside world either; at 38 Degrees, we’re always learning how to be even more mindful of how our country, our priorities and our team is changing, and are as responsive as possible to ensure our culture is as inclusive and considerate as humanly and technologically possible.
The 38 Degrees culture is honest, kind, supportive, courageous, and respectful. We move fast, and frequently change plans to respond to events. We work hard but we also have fun. We’re currently a team of 42 staff based in London, Edinburgh and elsewhere through the UK.
We’re looking for a Campaigns Manager to help us run and win campaigns that make the UK a better place. You’ll be part of a high-trust, supportive team and you’ll play a significant role in shaping the overall direction of 38 Degrees – whether that’s shaping our culture, developing our team or contributing to and leading parts of our organisational strategy.
Day-to-day you’ll be creating strategies and guiding teams to put those plans into action – sometimes responding fast to a news moment and other times working on longer term projects and campaigns. You’ll be a champion of our members and come up with ideas and tactics that will make real change in the world – from digital tools like petitions, to media and working with external partners and allies.
You should apply for this role if:
- You work well as a part of a team and enjoy collaborating
- You are passionate about making change by giving ordinary people the power to do so
- You’re able to balance work on both longer term campaigns and projects, and quick reactive campaigns
- You are skilled in creating media angles and securing coverage that could help us win campaigns
- You are able to apply your political knowledge to impact decision makers
- You have the ability to grasp new systems, new tools and new ideas and issues quickly
- You’re open-minded and willing to learn new approaches to your role and the culture
- You’d enjoy managing the moving parts of a project or campaign. This includes leading a team, making quick decisions, making mistakes and learning from them
- You would thrive in a culture which encourages you to innovate, take risks & are prepared to get things wrong, as well as creating relationships in the team which enable a high level of trust
- You are a good strategic thinker, and could create winning campaigns strategies
- You have line management experience, or evidence that you’ve got the potential to be a great line manager
There are no formal education requirements for this role. As long as you can show us you have the skills we don’t mind where you got them from! Also important to us is your potential to learn and grow in the role so even if you don’t have 100% of the skills listed we want to hear from you.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
38 Degrees wants to make democracy work for everyone. That means living up to that mission by having a team that represents our membership and our location, making 38 Degrees a genuinely inclusive space to work. We are currently under-represented by people of colour, trans and non-binary people, older people and Disabled people. We welcome applicants from these groups.
38 Degrees is committed to inclusive working practices, so during the application process we commit to:
- Paying for childcare whilst you’re at 38 Degrees interviews or tasks
- Paying for your travel costs to the office and back – and for overnight accommodation if you’re travelling from a long distance. Right now though, given the restrictions COVID-19 presents, we are expecting all interviews to be held online using zoom.
- Making any reasonable adjustments – for example ensuring we have BSL interpreters organised in advance if you’d like them
- If there anything else you’re concerned about or think we could provide, please let us know.
The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.