Who are we?
38 Degrees is made up of more than 2 million people from all walks of life across the UK. We have different backgrounds and opinions, but we all agree – politics works better when more of us get involved.
38 Degrees helps make that happen, by giving people in every corner of the country the tools to make our voices heard on the issues we care about. Together, we sign online petitions, chip in to fund expert research and talk to our MPs. In the space of a week, millions of members could be campaigning on anything from protecting our NHS and stopping cuts to Universal Credit, to saving local libraries and pushing for laws that welcome more refugees. We run campaigns which help make Britain a better and fairer place to live.
38 Degrees is independent. The 2 million of us who take part vote for all political parties and none, and we’re funded by tens of thousands of small donations from members of the public.
We don’t just seek to change the outside world either; at 38 Degrees, we’re always learning how to be even more mindful of how our country, our priorities and our team is changing, and are as responsive as possible to ensure our culture is as inclusive and considerate as humanly and technologically possible.
The 38 Degrees culture is honest, kind, supportive, courageous, and respectful. We move fast, and frequently change plans to respond to events. We work hard but we also have fun. We’re currently a team of 42 staff based in London, Edinburgh and elsewhere through the UK.
- 27 days holiday per year (plus Bank Holidays)
- Employer pension contribution
- 24 hour employee support line
- Enhanced family leave policies
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free annual flu vaccination
- Rental deposit loan
- Contribution to eye tests/glasses
Special COVID provisions:
- 9-day fortnight (every other Friday off)
- COVID flex leave
What’s the role?
38 Degrees is looking to hire a data analyst who will sit in the Member Insight and Support team and work closely with our in-house tech team and other stakeholders in the org. This role will be pivotal to us developing our connection with our members – understanding more about them, learning from them, and working out how we can best work with them to develop campaigns for impact and change. You’ll be a core part of our new insights team, asking questions of the data we have, thinking about what new data may be interesting and helpful to our work, and finding data-driven answers to the strategic questions we pose.
You’ll also help us translate information into insights on an ongoing basis, and you’ll be responsible for working with others, mainly in the tech and campaigns teams, to understand, apply, and promote using data insights to further our organisational impact. You’ll help build our internal capacity and skills by training up and embedding insight skills within the MIS team. You’ll help prove the importance and usefulness of data analysis and insights to achieving impact to the wider team through helping to set and meet organisational performance metrics
Your skills should include:
Proven data analysis and technical skills which allow us to better understand our members:
- You’ll have relevant work experience in BI, Analytics, or Data Science fields (or comparable fields), with demonstrable experience of working to meet organisational targets
- You’ll have proven SQL and Python and/or R skills in data transformation, analysis, and optimization, as well as strong statistical analysis skills
- You’ll have interest in or knowledge of predictive modelling
- You’ll be impact driven and have had success working towards set organisational metrics (eg around retention, growth/acquisition, engagement, and improving how we target our communication)
- You’ll have the ability to think laterally to meet business objectives, eg you’ll bring a proactive and flexible approach
- You’ll be able to adjust priorities in a fast-moving organisation with the direction of the Head of MIS
- You’re comfortable with, and have experience in, end-to-end ownership of the full stack of data analysis, including data engineering, ETL, data modelling, and data visualization
- You will be skilled at communicating complex ideas and the outputs of your data analysis into easily understandable information for others (including non-technical audiences)
- You’ll be comfortable using many different sources of data to draw your conclusions
- Past experience of building detailed personas and user groups is desirable
The ability to train up the MIS team and embed insight much more deeply in the team:
- You’ll have some experience training or mentoring others in data analysis and insights
- You’ll be given strategic direction – then within that, you’ll be focused on meeting organisational objectives and tracking performance
- You’ll have experience ensuring that the data you’re presenting is able to be used to make strategic business decisions, e.g. you’ll be able to see the big picture of the data you’re presenting
There are no formal education requirements for this role. As long as you can show us you have the skills we don’t mind where you got them from! If you have most of these skills, but aren’t sure if you have all of them, we still want to hear from you!
More about you:
- Experience with a range of data visualisation & reporting tools
- Experience finding and understanding trends and patterns in large datasets that can be turned into useful insights
- Use predictive analytics to drive forecasts, analysis and reporting
- Not afraid to work with legacy data, or incomplete/sparse data sets
- Quality, accuracy and attention to detail are critical
- Experience of bringing analysis that the business can use for targeted segmentation and messaging
- You’ll be able to help define metrics for measuring success of experiments such as A/B tests, and analyse the statistical significance of results to help the team decide what action to take as a result of the experiments
- Experience within customer insight and marketing functions
- Have had exposure to retention and acquisition strategies
- Knowledge of metabase
- Exposure to / experience of automating business processes and solutions, and making self-serve for all
Success in the role in the next year will look like:
- Knowledge has increased in the staff team about who our members are, what they care about, and how we provide members value (and how that differs across our membership). This will lead to us better understanding what to prioritise in our campaigns so we see higher engagement, donations, and impact on campaigns
- We have developed more granular personas, and see staff targeting emails more effectively and using different messaging strategies
- We’ll have furthered our understanding of our membership and all their touch points with 38 Degrees so that we can improve the member journey and we understand how journeys differ across our channels
- Bringing analysis of gaps in our membership, eg who in the country do we not currently represent and how do they differ to our existing membership. This will enable us to have informed conversations at a strategic level about membership growth
- Working with the MIS team so they learn the technical skills required for insight and data analysis – advising on structure, coaching and training, and embedding insights into the daily work of the team
- Work with the MIS team to develop dashboards and reporting with key metrics for review so that we’re consistently and automatically understanding our performance
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
38 Degrees wants to make democracy work for everyone. That means living up to that mission by having a team that represents our membership and our location, making 38 Degrees a genuinely inclusive space to work. We are currently under-represented by people of colour, trans and non-binary people, older people and Disabled people. We welcome applicants from these groups.
38 Degrees is committed to inclusive working practices, so during the application process we commit to:
- Paying for childcare whilst you’re at 38 Degrees interviews or tasks
- Paying for your travel costs to the office and back – and for overnight accommodation if you’re travelling from a long distance. Right now though, given the restrictions COVID-19 presents, we are expecting all interviews to be held online using zoom.
- Making any reasonable adjustments – for example ensuring we have BSL interpreters organised in advance if you’d like them
- If there anything else you’re concerned about or think we could provide, please let us know.
The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.
Please see our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here: https://home.38degrees.org.uk/job-applicant-privacy-notice/
You can apply for this role by emailing your CV to email@example.com