Who are we?
38 Degrees is made up of more than 2 million people from all walks of life across the UK. We have different backgrounds and opinions, but we all agree – politics works better when more of us get involved.
38 Degrees helps make that happen, by giving people in every corner of the country the tools to make our voices heard on the issues we care about. Together, we sign online petitions, chip in to fund expert research and talk to our MPs. In the space of a week, millions of members could be campaigning on anything from protecting our NHS and stopping cuts to Universal Credit, to saving local libraries and pushing for laws that welcome more refugees. We run campaigns which help make Britain a better and fairer place to live.
38 Degrees is independent. The 2 million of us who take part vote for all political parties and none, and we’re funded by tens of thousands of small donations from members of the public.
We don’t just seek to change the outside world either; at 38 Degrees, we’re always learning how to be even more mindful of how our country, our priorities and our team is changing, and are as responsive as possible to ensure our culture is as inclusive and considerate as humanly and technologically possible.
The 38 Degrees culture is honest, kind, supportive, courageous, and respectful. We move fast, and frequently change plans to respond to events. We work hard but we also have fun. We’re currently a team of 42 staff based in London, Edinburgh and elsewhere through the UK.
38 Degrees is looking for a digital marketing lead who will be responsible for overseeing our paid digital campaigns to broaden our membership, increase our impact on political decision makers and deepen existing levels of engagement.
The digital marketing lead will work with the Campaigns and Membership teams to develop, implement, track and optimize our digital marketing campaigns across channels. A strong grasp of analytics will be key as this role will lead in advising the Campaigns team on where budgets are best allocated.
The successful candidate will have some relevant experience, possibly with a consumer facing, political, agency or media background. You should have a strong grasp of current marketing tools and strategies.
- Oversee our paid growth campaigns: This includes working with our Campaigns teams to develop and launch their ads, monitoring performance across the organisation, understanding our audience and advising on where budgets are best spent.
- Measure and report on performance of digital marketing campaigns: Use data to assess where strategies are working, where they aren’t – and inspire and lead changes. Skilfully use audience segmentation and targeted content to improve return on investment.
- Optimise social channels for fundraising: Lead on developing strategies which use social channels (Facebook/ Google ads) for organisational fundraising purposes.
- Optimise member experience: Analyse and assess end-to-end customer experience across multiple channels and touchpoints.
- Digital marketing cultural and behaviour setting: Spread knowledge and help staff members to understand how to execute the digital marketing strategy. Hold team members to account for campaign social media strategies, feeding back on successes and learnings – and leading necessary changes.
Salary: £30,000 – £40,000
Your skills and experience
This role is challenging and requires hard work, flexibility, initiative, an ability to deliver results in a fast paced environment, set strategic direction and ensure a staff team has the skills required to execute it. You will have a hands on approach and a commitment to our mission of empowering people to contribute to democracy through digital tools.
Your core skills and experience will include:
- Experience running conversion-driven paid digital campaigns on Facebook and Twitter, with the ability to show examples of prior work
- Experience in using digital channels e.g. Facebook, to grow and engage a base of supporters and fundraise
- Experience in using data and analytics to segment audiences and target content in a sophisticated way, to maximise return on investment.
- A history of professionalism, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines
- Fantastic teamwork skills and the ability to work quickly and collaboratively
- The ability to multi-task and thrive in an organisation where our campaign priorities change with the news agenda
- An ‘all hands on deck’ attitude with little attention to hierarchy
- There are no educational requirements – if you have the skills that would make you an excellent fit for this role, we don’t mind how you learnt them!
The job is often driven by a campaign cycle, so there are times that involve long hours but we look to ensure staff maintain a good work/life balance. 38 Degrees strives for innovation – we are always expanding and growing in our use of online platforms and our culture emphasises the importance of freedom, independence and creativity. You will thrive in this setting and use your initiative to continue to innovate.
There are no formal education requirements for this role. As long as you can show us you have the skills we don’t mind where you got them from! Also important to us is your potential to learn and grow in the role so even if you don’t have 100% of the skills listed we want to hear from you.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
38 Degrees wants to make democracy work for everyone. That means living up to that mission by having a team that represents our membership and our location, making 38 Degrees a genuinely inclusive space to work. We are currently under-represented by people of colour, trans and non-binary people, older people and Disabled people. We welcome applicants from these groups.
38 Degrees is committed to inclusive working practices, so during the application process we commit to:
- Paying for childcare whilst you’re at 38 Degrees interviews or tasks
- Paying for your travel costs to the office and back – and for overnight accommodation if you’re travelling from a long distance. Right now though, given the restrictions COVID-19 presents, we are expecting all interviews to be held online using zoom.
- Making any reasonable adjustments – for example ensuring we have BSL interpreters organised in advance if you’d like them
- If there anything else you’re concerned about or think we could provide, please let us know.
The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.