Dec 17th, 2010
Save Our Forests – Our Forests Are For Sale
The “save our forests” campaign is growing fast – nearly 95,000 people have signed the save our forests petition.
Over the Christmas holidays, lots of us will visit forests. They are wonderful places to spend time with family and friends and to enjoy nature. For many of us they are the perfect place for a Boxing Day stroll or to blow away the cobwebs after New Year’s Eve. It’s scary to think they could soon be sold off, fenced off and run down.
If you are visiting a forest over the holidays, please print off some posters or leaflets to put up and spread the word. If we all leave a poster in the car park of a forest we visit this Christmas, or maybe some leaflets in the visitor centre or cafe, our petition should be past 100,000 signatures before the year is out!
Here are some quick things you can do to help save our forests over Christmas:
* Put up “Forest for sale” posters up in forests you visit (download them from the save our forests action centre)
* Tie ribbons around trees and attach “Forest for sale” tags (you can download them save our forests action centre). This idea is inspired by Sally from the Forest of Dean (see here)
* Take “Save our forests” posters and leaflets with you to your local forest and ask local shops and cafes to give them out. You can even put them up in the forest car park or bus stop. There are a few to choose from at the save our forests action centre.
* Keep a “Save our forests” petition with you and ask friends, family and colleagues to sign up. You can download one here.
* Take a wintery photo of your local forest and share it on the “Save our forests flickr group“.
Don’t forget to share how you got on in the comments below!