Mar 12th, 2015
By Peter Robinson
We held our first election planning meeting in Beeston on the 11 March.
Beeston is part of the Broxtowe constituency, which lies to the west of Nottingham. The House of Commons seat was regained by in 2010 by the Conservative Party, with a majority of 389 votes. The MP is Anna Soubry . The defeated MP, Nick Palmer of the Labour party is standing again and one poll (July 2014) puts Labour ahead with a strong UKIP presence:- Lab on 39%, Con on 30%, UKIP on 18%.
The photo above shows 9 out of 10 of us who attended the first planning meeting. (I was the tenth, taking the photo; and sorry about the quality). A number of our members have been very active the NHS campaigns. Also a lot of work has been done around TTIP, in the main through the UNITE union, culminating in a meeting before Christmas, of 130 people. It was a good meeting, which planned a number of activities, including:
- contacting students about voter registration
- a tax protest on 21 March: click here for the blog entry including pictures.
- our next planning meeting on the 31st
- joining a railway protest, calling for public ownership, on April 1st.
- sharing email and phone number details