Apr 13th, 2015
Researching where MP candidates stand on our top issues
By Nat Whalley
140,000 members of 38 Degrees helped shape our plans for the election. Part of those plans include 38 Degrees members researching into candidates and local issues during this general election. Now it’s time to put this part of the plan into action.
When we work together, 38 Degrees members have thousands of pairs of eyes and ears across the country, keeping track of what our politicians are saying.
If we can record the promises our MP candidates are making now, it’ll be easier to hold them to account if they’re elected.
Can you join other 38 Degrees members to research where MP candidates stand on our top issues?
Here’s how to get involved:
- There are four questions we need to find the answers to: does the candidate pledge to crack down on tax dodging? Do they commit to increasing NHS funding? Do they commit to stop NHS privatisation? And do they promise to stop TTIP?
- Researching the position of one of your local candidates would be a good place to start. You might start by searching on google.com or another search engine. You might find a newspaper interview about what an MP candidate believes about an issue. Or you might find a tweet or Facebook post where they outline what they’ll do if they’re elected.
- Then, it’s time to submit the evidence you’ve found by clicking the link below.
- The link takes you to a page that shows where the candidates stand on the four questions. At the top of the page, you’ll need to click the orange button that says ‘submit evidence’ to add your findings.
- You’ll see a simple form for you to record where the MP candidate stands on one of four questions. You’ll need to create a password (or sign in with the password you’ve previously created) to be able to see the form and fill it out.
- Please select the question you’re submitting evidence for and fill in where your MP candidate stands on the issue. You’ll need to include the evidence you’ve found, or a link to a webpage. Then, click to submit the form.
- Once you’ve submitted the form, a green tick, red cross or a grey dash will be added next to the candidate under the question you submitted evidence for. Congratulations! You’ve just helped to keep track of what politicians are saying – and hold them to account.
Click the link to get started, you’ll need to create a password in order to submit evidence:
The more of us who join in the research, the clearer picture we’ll build up locally about where our candidates stand. We can cut through the political spin, and help show people which candidates will really protect the NHS, or who’ll crack down on tax dodging.
Together, we can give fellow 38 Degrees members the information they need to cast their vote for the best candidates.