May 6th, 2020
Our plan for the NHS
By 38 Degrees team
The results are in. With our NHS facing its biggest ever challenge, more than 100,000 of us have taken a survey to have our say on what we can do together to protect our NHS.
The results of the survey show that no matter who we are or where we live, almost all of us agree on what we should do right now:
- Protect our frontline workers from coronavirus with proper, safe equipment.
- Get all NHS and care workers the pay rise they deserve.
- Give all health and care workers the option to remain in the UK.
Now we’re putting this into action: we’ve started campaigns on all of your priorities already – for proper protective equipment, pay rises, and the right to stay in the UK for frontline workers. Together we’ll be ramping up the pressure on the government over the next few weeks and months.
For years all we’ve heard is how divided our country is – on Brexit or party politics. But this survey shows that in every part of the UK, we’re united when it comes to our NHS:
- We want our NHS workers to have great wages and conditions.
- We want everyone to get the best care no matter where they live or who they are.
- We want the best care when we need it.
- We don’t want our NHS run for profit.
- We want our health system joined up to welfare and social care so every part of a person’s health is looked after.
This is why 38 Degrees exists. Because we know that one of us on our own can’t fight – and win – these battles. But when we all come together, united for our NHS, those in power sit up and take notice.
And in the face of big challenges like the coronavirus pandemic, we all pile in and make a plan together – because politics works better when more of us get involved. And it’s never been so important to hold the government to account with people power.
And to end on an inspirational note: the survey asked people to share the first word that came to them when they thought about the NHS. We thought it painted a beautiful picture of everything our NHS means to us, especially right now: